Guest Blog by Yogasteya Member Brenda Reid
25 years – shouldn’t we be bored with each other by now? With our silver anniversary looming, I’ve been asked by multiple people how my husband and I can still enjoy each other after all this time – how we’ve managed to stay in love.
My answer is simple: We never stopped playing.
Don’t get me wrong, there have been rough patches and times where playing didn’t come easily – I mean heck, we raised a family together and that is stressful! We’ve been down the too-broke-to-breathe path, and enjoyed pockets of financial independence. Though it all, regardless of our financial state, we have always focused on finding new experiences to share both together and as a family.
I encourage you to keep it fresh when you plan time as a couple or as a family! It is easy to get complacent and routine, to get so comfortable that you can predict what happens next. That doesn’t mean that traditions don’t matter – I promise you there are things we do over and over because they bring tremendous joy, but be willing to get creative too.
Here are a few ideas for couples and families to get you started:
- Build a dream board! An inexpensive cork board or a refrigerator with magnets will do. When you see an idea in a magazine or paper, rip it out and put it there. Have a brainstorm? Write it down and put it on the board! Visit this board when you need something new. Let the kids add to it – you never know what they might be dreaming of!
- Are you really adventurous? Love to travel? Try taking a vacation where the details are a secret even to you until you leave! (magical-mystery-tours.com)
- Picnic in a park, catch crawfish in a stream, have a cloud formation “I spy…” game, road trip to a fair in a new town, hike a new trail, make s’mores in your backyard…
- Take a cooking class or cook a new recipe together at home!
- Have “kids plan the night” events where every detail is up to them! (keep the boundaries simple such as “can’t leave the house” so they have a lot of flexibility)
- Join each other in your favourite exercise! I’ll never forget the time my husband joined me for yoga – I still smile! Not his thing, but he tried it for me and that meant the world.
- Visit a comedy club for date night instead of the old “dinner and a movie” routine
- Make your next vacation something you wouldn’t normally do. Maybe somewhere cold vs warm, or a country you never thought you’d visit.
- GET LOST – seriously I mean it! Take a walk or go for a drive in a strange place without a map. So many amazing things to find that aren’t listed in the tour guide! My favorite memories have been times we found great café’s, galleries, or amazing views due to making a wrong turn.
So go – PLAY – get lost – LAUGH – DREAM….. keep it fresh!
Brenda is a software executive with a passion for travel, family, and the outdoors. Finding yoga in 2003 brought a new dimension to self-exploration and learning to work through physical challenges and she enjoys practicing often. “10-minutes-matters”, has become her new favorite reminder to get back to the mat! She spends her non-travel time volunteering as a mentor to teenage moms, enjoying her 2 adult children and grandkids around a campfire and 4-wheeling with her husband of 25 years.